As you tour homes, do you stop in the backyard and visualize your friends and family fighting over the first burgers off the grill while the dogs play in the yard? If outdoor entertaining is a
How To Get Over The One That Got Away
Imagine you finally find the house of your dreams. It has everything you hoped for in a home, from the right countertops to the right landscaping. You spend hours envisioning the parties you'll throw in the backyard and the baths you'll take in the clawfoot tub. But fate intervenes. For some unfortunate reason – perhaps a fierce bidding war or a fickle owner who decides to stay put – deal falls through. How do you recover? Here are some tips.
1. Get right back in the saddleIf you must have a pity party, do it quickly. Perhaps a quick toast to what could have been, then dive straight back into search mode. In today's market, things move fast. You don't want to miss an even better home while you're mooning over photos of the lost listing.
2. Don't dwell on one dwellingDelete the listing of the home that got away. Erase the pictures you took with your phone when you toured. Do your best not to compare new homes to the one you lost. There are lots of homes with lots of new possibilities. Keep an open mind.
3. Don't settleDon't let your frustration push you into a hurried purchase of the next available property simply to get the process over with. Stay true to your shopping list of features you need and want.
4. Re-evaluate your budget.Take another look at what you can spend and what the homes you're looking at have been selling for. Do you need to add cushion to be more competitive when making an offer? Or do you need to start looking at a less expensive neighborhood to find a home that has everything you want?
5. Talk to your agent.Your RE/MAX agent will be full of advice for surviving the lows – and highs – of your real estate journey. Find an agent here: www.remax.com
David Haghighi is an experienced Real Estate Broker with extensive experience in North County San Diego, and a focus on family. He is married with five children, and you can often find him at the soc....
Latest Blog Posts
Father's Day is this Sunday, June 18. This year, get your dad something he'll really appreciate — help tackling his home improvement to-do list. Here are a few suggestions:1. Instead of a fancy